Thanks for the info. I'll take that into consideration as well.

But my primary goal is to have a Windows free Host and hopefully keep
Windows only as a Guest OS with (hopefully) good enough performance.

Eran

On 7/8/07, Bilbo Bugginz <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

On 7/8/07, Shachar Shemesh <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
> Eran Sandler wrote:
> > 1) Thinkpad T61 running Ubuntu and VmWare 5 with XP + Visual Studio
2005 +
> > MSSQL + IIS
> > 2) Macbook Pro (similar specs to the T61) running MacOSX + Parallels
and a
> > virtual machine with the same configuration.
> >
> > I prefer Linux but if the performance is worse than what I will get
with
> > comparable hardware on Mac + Parallels I'll go with a Mac.
> >

> Are a T61 and a similarly speced Macbook Pro also similarly priced? If
> not, here is your tie breaker right there.

It's a very difficult choice, since MacBook Pro (MBP), has several
features other laptops don't have:

pros MBP:
The lowest-end MBP ( small 15" display ) has builtin camera,
ExpressCard/34 slot, 2 Firewire slots, Remote Control, illuminated
keyboard ... and a better case.

pros T61:
T61: ND114xx has a fingerprint reader, which works great with linux,
and is very convenient.
It can also be docked into the IBM docking station, which is very
convenient too.

As to highest end MBP 17", I am not sure if there's a comparable
laptop in the market at this moment (2.4GHz C2D CPU, big display  1920
x 1200, and other whistles each hacker would love)

prices depend on warranty etc. look at where you're about to buy.
US prices are generally better.