Amit Aronovitch wrote:
Note that (some? most new ones?) of these laptops come with "Home"
versions of windows Vista on a "recovery partition".
This is bundled (cannot be bought without), and cannot be upgraded to
a different license.

By EULA, *you are not allowed* to use this (or any other "Home")
version with virtualization technology, so you will have to buy
"Ultimate", "Enterprise" or the likes seperately (and that's a
considerable addition to the price tag).

I'm no lawyer nor I play one on TV but I have some serious doubts as to the legality of a deal to sell you hardware and bundled software which specifically prohibit you from using one of the outstanding features of the hardware you bought.

It doesn't mean the EULA is not in force. But I'm guessing it means you can probably sue the laptop reseller based on consumer protection laws for a refund of that bundled software and might have a case.

BTW, how does Vista work virtualized? Do you run it without the 3d
effects, or is there some way to virtualize 3d acceleration?

You can para-virtualize 3d acceleration but at this time this is more academic then useful, so yes, turning off the 3D (or any visual effects for that matter) produces a great performance boost.

Of course, I'd claim the same to be true also on native hardware which IS 3D accelerated but that's a whole different point.

Gilad

--
Gilad Ben-Yossef <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
Codefidence. A name you can trust(tm)

        "There once was a virtualization coder,
         Whose patches kept getting older,
         Each time upstream would drop,
         His documentation would slightly rot,
         SO APPLY MY F*$KING PATCHES OR I'LL KEEP WRITING LIMERICKS."
                -- Rusty Russel