I can confirm that the behavior is the same on an Intel machine
freshly upgraded to Sonoma with R 4.3.0 R.app GUI 1.79 (8238)
aarch64-apple-darwin20
And it has been going on my M2 MBP R4.3.1 R.app GUI 1.79 (8238)
aarch64-apple-darwin20

Does the team need any debug outputs or similar to understand the
issue? Happy to send what's needed. Please advise.

HTH,
Brandon