On 31/05/18 10:15, Richard Hipp wrote:
> Size is still important.  But having useful features is important too.
> I'm continuing to work to find the right balance between these
> competing goals.

A pattern used in other projects is to have standard downloads, as well
as custom ones.  With the latter you can include or exclude additional
components and features.  You can already do this with SQLite, but it
requires several more command line tools, programming languages, and
comprehensive reading of the documentation.

Perhaps a custom download web page that gives you some presets
(smallest, default, everything) or lets you choose your own settings.
It would then produce known good source files, and users would be happy.

Here is an example page for a Javascript project:

  https://jqueryui.com/download/

On the balance side, STAT4 is a good example.  I think it would benefit
the majority of SQLite users if it was enabled by default.  But making
only that change could change query plans for existing users.  (Many
users also don't compile SQLite itself - they get binaries from the
platform, or language bindings.)

Roger