On Oct 9, 2018, at 1:56 PM, Eric <e...@deptj.eu> wrote:

> I suppose I must be an "anti-forum type" even though I have never used
> Gmane, but it does rather sound as though you are applying a somewhat
> perjorative label here.

I make no value judgement.  If you are against web forums, then you are
anti-forum.  That’s just grammar.

>> Gmane is part of the problem that lead to the creation of the Fossil
>> forum feature.  Viz., it enables spammers, by design:
>>
>>    http://gmane.org/about/
>
> I don't see that page saying what you claim it says.

“Gmane makes it much easier for spam harvesters to gather these real, authentic
mail addresses. Even though the Gmane web interface to the news spool
obfuscates all addresses, a spam harvesting bot just has to point itself to the
news interface to slurp down the entire spool. And there's not much I can do to
stop that from happening.”

>> The arguments about mailing lists vs forums have all been had.
>
> Not in my hearing :-)

How long have you been on this list?  The last such thread was about 4 months
ago:

That event was the immediate spur to start this Fossil forum project, but if
you search the archives, there are multiple threads.  Here’s one from about a
year ago:

http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/Many-ML-emails-going-to-GMail-s-SPAM-td98685.html

If you think that thread is about a Gmail-specific problem, you’ve
misunderstood it.  The problem is happening because spam gets reflected off
this list, so people click “This is Spam” in Gmail, which causes Gmail’s spam
filters to treat all messages on the list as more spammish.  The more that
happens, the less likely a given SQLite ML message is to get to a Gmail user.

That problem will affect any mail system with centralized spam detection.
Gmail is just the biggest such provider, so it affects more people than any
other.

Meanwhile, the Fossil forum has been up for 78 days now without even an
*attempted* spam, as far as I’m aware, in part due to Fossil’s pre-existing
anti-bot defenses:

    https://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/antibot.wiki

If some spammer manages to get a posting past those defenses, it’ll be stopped
by one of the moderators.

> if I wanted to reply in context (like this very email) I would have to
> construct it manually and paste it into the forum.

The need for message quoting is much reduced when you’ve got a
properly-threaded web view.

As you can see from this message, I’m a big believer in brief, on-point quotes
on mailing lists, but I only do it on the Fossil forum when there are multiple
topics that need to be addressed separately, as in this message.  When my
entire reply follows clearly from the prior post, I don’t bother quoting.

Keep in mind that Fossil forums default to Markdown formatting, so all it takes
to quote something is to insert a right angle bracket and space at the start of
a line, followed by a paste of the text you want to show as quoted in the reply.

…which is the standard for email, too, which means MUAs display it as expected
as well.

> Even just reading, some of the forum emails are meaningless because
> there is no context. I know, I could follow the link to the forum to see
> the context - and then come back, and then go to the forum for a
> different context …

You say you’ve just joined, which means your mail reader doesn’t have any of
the context locally, which is no different from a just-joined mailing list.

If, after several days you have the same problem with threads where the entire
conversation has been sent to you, then the problem is in your mailer’s ability
to reconstruct a thread.

I do believe Fossil’s email alerts system sends the proper headers to allow
threaded viewing.  If you find it’s not working, let us know which mailer
you’re using, and maybe we can add more headers to clue it into the proper
threading.