On Oct 10, 2018, at 9:09 AM, Eric <e...@deptj.eu> wrote:

> I don't think that "all been had" applies.

Pedantically speaking, yes, you’re right, every possible argument has not been
had on this mailing list yet.

In order to avoid an “infinite monkeys” argument, let’s make it concrete: what
substantial new take on this argument would you like to offer or see discussed?

Here’s some new data: the Fossil users’ and developers’ mailing lists are still
online, yet traffic to both has fallen to near-zero.  There was some traffic on
the user’s list for a while in previously-started threads, but other than that
there were only two new threads started after the “This mailing list is now
deprecated” thread:

   https://www.mail-archive.com/fossil-users@lists.fossil-scm.org/msg28049.html

One of those new threads had to be on the mailing list because it was testing
an ML-specific feature.  The other new thread is now about 2 weeks old.  We
used to get roughly 10 posts per day to the Fossil mailing lists, on average.
Meanwhile, the Fossil forums are quite busy, with roughly the same amount of
traffic as was on the old mailing lists.

So, how about this: when the SQLite forum comes online, what if this list
continues to exist, and we see if the same thing happens?

> What the forum doesn't allow is a subthread with a "was" subject, like
> this one.

Fossil forums offer something much better: internal hyperlinks.

Here’s an example:

    https://fossil-scm.org/forum/forumpost/195da45e5f

The code for that in the actual post is shorter:

    This thread picks up from [another](/forumpost/195da45e5f)...

In addition to being shorter, it’s immune from being broken just because some
third-party mailing list archive service goes out of business or changes its
URL scheme.

Newer technology affords better solutions.

Another problem we don’t have on the forum are tedious arguments over
top-posting vs inline quoting.

I’ve written up a long list of advantages to the Fossil forum feature here:

    https://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/forum.wiki