On Tue, 9 Oct 2018 15:17:52 -0600, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On Oct 9, 2018, at 1:56 PM, Eric <e...@deptj.eu> wrote:
> >
> > I suppose I must be an "anti-forum type" even though I have never used
> > Gmane, but it does rather sound as though you are applying a somewhat
> > perjorative label here.
>
> I make no value judgement.  If you are against web forums, then you
> are anti-forum.  That's just grammar.

Well, OK, but "anything type" sounds to me like pigeon-holing people,
which is not good - it's the "type" that changes the meaning for me. I
guess we can put the difference in perception to differences in cultural
and personal background.

8>< --------

>>> The arguments about mailing lists vs forums have all been had.
>>
>> Not in my hearing :-)
>
> How long have you been on this list?  The last such thread was about 4
> months ago:

> That event was the immediate spur to start this Fossil forum project,
> but if you search the archives, there are multiple threads.  Here's one
> from about a year ago:
>

> http://sqlite.1065341.n5.nabble.com/Many-ML-emails-going-to-GMail-s-SPAM-td98685.html

Yes, I have those in my own archive (47 emails in two threads) but I
don't think that "all been had" applies.

> If you think that thread is about a Gmail-specific problem, ...

I don't, but I've never seen such spams, and I haven't had a false
positive for months.

8>< --------

> Meanwhile, the Fossil forum has been up for 78 days now without even
> an *attempted* spam, as far as I'm aware, in part due to Fossil's
> pre-existing anti-bot defenses:
>
>     https://www.fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/antibot.wiki

I believe it. I also think it is (from my point of view) beside the
point.

8>< --------
> The need for message quoting is much reduced when you've got a
> properly-threaded web view.

But only if you read the forum through the web view, not in the emails.

8>< --------

> > Even just reading, some of the forum emails are meaningless because
> > there is no context. I know, I could follow the link to the forum to see
> > the context - and then come back, and then go to the forum for a
> > different context '
>
> You say you've just joined, which means your mail reader doesn't
> have any of the context locally, which is no different from a just-joined
> mailing list.

I was allowing for that.

In a mailing list with mostly sensible contributors the context is right
there in the same page/screen/window, while with the mail reader's thread
list it's in a different place, and the forum is also in a different
place (and requiring different connectivity).

8>< --------
> I do believe Fossil's email alerts system sends the proper headers to
> allow threaded viewing.

So do I (In-Reply-To is enough?). If I think my mail reader is missing
something in threading, I can fall back to the best threader I have (the
surprisingly ancient mHonArc - Zawinski algorithm I think).

What the forum doesn't allow is a subthread with a "was" subject, like
this one.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry