On Wed, 10 Oct 2018 11:10:24 -0600, Warren Young <war...@etr-usa.com> wrote:
> On Oct 10, 2018, at 10:39 AM, Eric <e...@deptj.eu> wrote:
>>
>> * mailing lists come to me, I don't have to go and get them
>
> So do Fossil email alerts.

Do they thread? Anyway I have to go and get context, and go elsewhere to
reply.

>> * mailing lists all work the same
>
> No, they don't. There are many different mailing list managers, each
> with different subscription methods, unsubscription methods, password
> requirements, commands, etc. On top of that, the popular mailing list
> managers are highly configurable, so you can't even say that all GNU
> Mailman mailing lists work the same.

None of which matters on a day-to-day basis - you read emails and you
answer them.

>> no multiple forum URLs

> …but multiple mailing list manager URLs instead.

See previous answer.

>> passwords
>
> Fossil forum subscribers don't need a password ...

OK, but one or two "forums" among many - I prefer to have a password
anyway.

>> * context usually exists within each email, no need to jump around the
>>   interface
>
> When was the last time you used a mail client without threading?
> Mail messages are *rarely* entirely self-contained.

Depends on what you mean by "entirely". If you can tell what the first
sentence is actually talking about, that's often enough context.
"Entirely" is not necessary.

> And when they are, it's usually because you're looking at some
> monstrosity perpetrated by those who like untrimmed top-posting, so that
> every past message is listed below the new content, in reverse order.

I spent too many hours of my working life reading those, but they're not
really relevant here.

>> * mailing lists are easy to read selectively and/or skim read
>
> Yes, just like Fossil email alerts.

I haven't seen an alert yet, unless it looks exactly like a normal
single-message email!

>> * I can keep my own (possibly selective) archive
>
> You can clone a Fossil forum repository, if the forum's administrator
> allows it.  The fossil-scm.org/forum allows it, so presumably the future
> sqlite.org/forum will as well.

Too much overhead, how often must I clone ...

> As for selective archives, Fossil will let you delete content from a
> repository:
>
>     https://fossil-scm.org/fossil/doc/trunk/www/shunning.wiki
>
> This includes forum posts.

Too tedious, and also seems like misuse of a feature, in which case it
is the potential start of a slippery slope.

> What non-accidental differences do you have in your local SQLite mailing
> list archive as compared to those on the public mailing list archive
> services?

Only that mine starts when I first subscribed to the list, and is
partial if I wanted it that way. And it's local!

> This line of argument also ignores the opposite virtue: with Fossil
> forums, it is easy to get a complete archive of past discussions without
> having been a subscriber since the beginning.

If I want something from outside the time when I was subscribed, I will
have to go looking, but this is pretty rare. Unless I'm looking for the
solution to a problem, in which case I will do a web search.

> Even if you do happen to be on mailing lists from the start, are your
> local mail backups complete?  I'm pretty sure I've lost old mailing
> list archives in moves from one client to another.  That can't happen
> with Fossil, due to the durability of its block chain technology.

Unless you lose the whole thing :-) I have an older archive (always
partial) which is a set of mbox files, and a newer one (always complete)
which is a maildir, and they go back a long time. They are always backed
up and independent of whatever mail reader I happen to be using at the
moment.

>> searchable across all lists
>
> Do you often find yourself unable to remember where you posted something,
> and thus wouldn't know which forum to search for a given post, and thus
> must search all of them?
>
> It's happened to me, but only very rarely.  Usually I end up doing an
> Internet search for my own name and relevant keywords, which would also
> turn up Fossil forums content.

There are overlapping "forums", and OT threads, so it happens fairly
often, and anyway I have only one search interface for each of my
archives, each of which covers multiple "forums".

>> I never get around to looking at most of the
>> forums, partly, of course, because there isn't time.
>
> It's no faster to open a mail client than it is to open a folder full
> of forum bookmarks and scan their contents.

Yes it is, it's always open. And no need to dig for the password or
struggle with how the particular interface works.

> Fossil forums are especially nice in this regard, since there is currently
> no subforum feature, so you don't have to go digging through them
> to find out what's new.  The forum's front page lists new posts in
> newest-first order, with the unread posts in a brighter hyperlink color.

"Currently"? You don't want subforums, there's a good search, and it
might be reasonable to allow tagging posts.

Eric
--
ms fnd in a lbry