> Le 6 sept. 2016 à 10:19, Stephan Beal <sgb...@googlemail.com> a écrit :
>
>> However, while you are at it, an improvement for the website when browsed
>> from a computer would be to limit the max width of the pages, especially
>> for the documentation pages. Currently if you have a big screen the lines
>> of text stretch to the whole browser width, which is not very readable.
>>

> A counter-opinion, though apparently in the small minority: i _absolutely
> despise_ fixed-width web site layouts.

Along a similar line, I tend to never use my browsers full screen or full width
on desktops but adjust the window size to whatever suits me for comfort of
reading. I'm not sure — but I'm rather from old school surely — that it is in
the hyper-text original concepts to impose a reading width on me.  In my book,
the purpose of a technical hyper-text as sqlite.org is to provide content, and
leave the overall formatting of this the viewer (the user and his/her browser).

I welcome the changes made on the draft site, because things set to display
sideways on larger displays are configured to display in-line (like menus of
shortcuts) when using a (much) smaller screen.  That is positive.  As well
reducing the margins on text on those small displays is just fine. Going
farther by imposing a maximum line width on larger displays, especially if
expressing this using such a weird unit as pixels, doesn't feel right for
sqlite.org content.

I wouldn't say the same for the a marketing website, heavily built of highly
graphical content.

--
Meilleures salutations, Met vriendelijke groeten, Best Regards,
Olivier Mascia, integral.be/om