On 2016/09/06 10:19 AM, Stephan Beal wrote:
On Tue, Sep 6, 2016 at 10:15 AM, Eric Grange <zar...@gmail.com> wrote:

However, while you are at it, an improvement for the website when browsed
from a computer would be to limit the max width of the pages, especially
for the documentation pages. Currently if you have a big screen the lines
of text stretch to the whole browser width, which is not very readable.

A counter-opinion, though apparently in the small minority: i _absolutely
despise_ fixed-width web site layouts.

I'm afraid I'm with Mr. Beal on this - Windows (for all its faults) lets me drag the size of a window (including browser windows) to whatever I like them to be. It feels extremely presumptuous of a web-site (or its designer) to decide that I am incapable of picking a size that "reads well". I think the convention has merit for people who simply clicks the little "Maximize" button and then expects to see content that is easy to read. That's laziness in my opinion, but I'm not judging, just don't want them to decide my read-width.

Catering for user who don't know how to use computers is a bit of an Apple thing (and sadly lately a bit of a Windows thing too), luckily Linux still thinks I am the boss. I don't mind that these conventions exist to help those folks, I just wish I had the choice... always.