For my current website, I tested various techniques so that my website renders properly on a phone and a large desktop monitor. Most smart phones have a landscape resolution of at least 1024 pixels, most newer phones are much higher. I found that 950 pixel fixed centered width for a website page works on everything. A phone turned landscape can read 12 point common fonts at full width zoom. I find that using a fixed width instead of an adaptive width is better for phones. Especially when viewing the same website on a large desktop monitor. With the context centered, the website is not too wide which can be hard to read on a large screen, but fits onto a phone screen nicely.

Another thing I found about phones with using fixed pages and fixed width text boxes versus dynamic width pages. Tapping the text zooms to the width of a text box. Tapping on a dynamic width box had mixed results as the phone operating system has to guess a zoom factor, which often resulted in over zooming requiring horizontal scrolling to read.

I split the screen into vertical fourths. Navigation, notes, and such in the left quadrant, text boxes and other content in the other three quadrants. Following more along the lines of the current style of the sqlite website, the right most quadrant column for stuff such as the common links box with the page content in the first 3 quadrant columns. I think a fixed width instead of dynamic width works better with phones and other small devices.

Newspapers use 4-6 columns on a page instead of stretching a line all the way across the page. It is easier for the eyes to track from line to line. I find wide width of the sqlite pages hard to read on my desktop monitors. Although I can shrink the width of the browser, I am usually working on other things when opening the page which need wider widths of the browser.

People who mostly use phones for browsing the web are not using devices with a paltry 320x480 screen. scaling for a 950 width would work better.

Fixed width content boxes seem to work better for phones as it gives better clues to the phone how to zoom. Tapping any text box will zoom to the width of that text box. Dynamic width boxes do not have those kind of clues. I laid out my entire website using the four quadrant vertical columns and fixed width text boxes, which seems to work well on various phones I tried, along with large desktop monitors. You can see how it works here>

https://nousrandom.net/index.html

Scott Doctor
sc...@scottdoctor.com