My post has been interpreted as an attack on Alan Oldham, which I didn't mean it to be (the 'stuck in a groove' comment is regrettable). I read Alan's manifesto and I posted in the same straight style he used. (I trust a big shoot-from-the-hip man like Alan will not be offended by the small words of a small Scot like myself). I just wanted to open discussion on what Detroit means now as a sound. The subsequent posts have been unanimous in their attack on me, saying Detroit means all things and nothing in particular (a broad chuch), and Alan is as much a part of it as anyone else. But it didn't used to be like that. Detroit used to mean something much more precise (and Alan was definitely a part of that). That's why we're all on this list, right? We all know 'Detroit' refers (or at least used to refer) to something in music, even if we can't say exactly what that is. It just seems to me that Alan is now closer to present day Europe than he is to present day Detroit (musically speaking, and I don't see that as an insult. I remember him posting something to that effect a few months ago). And with the DEMF happening it's as good a time as any to discuss what exactly it is that Detroit means right now. If it means anything at all.

But what do I know...

Rol