In a message dated 5/27/2000 9:16:47 AM Pacific Daylight Time,
[EMAIL PROTECTED] writes:

<< Alan

 I think the reason you haven't been asked to play is because you don't play
 what the rest of Detroit is into anymore. Though I've never heard a set I
 own a few of your records, which are solid, and have an indication of what
 you play from the comments you've made on this list. Hard and minimal is my
 guess, the way Detroit used to do it, and from all reports mixed up in
 inspirational style. But with the exception of Hawtin, Mills and yourself
 (and maybe Rolando), it doesn't seem to me that that's what Detoit musicians
 are into anymore.

First of all, hear a set before you judge, please.

Secondly, I really don't care what Detroit musicians are into. It's the kids
that come out to dance and buy my records/comics/whatever that I care about
pleasing. A very good friend of mine whose name you would know cared a little
too much about what his fellow Detroit musicians thought of his work. As a
result, he's just now getting the confidence and respect he deserves, even
though he was around since the VERY beginning !

I think Detroit and I think Carl Craig, Moodyman and Theo
Parrish. I think Moods and Grooves and Theorem. They're the ones getting
attention for moving stuff forward.

If you say so. That's the beauty of Detroit music. There's something for
everybody. I'll stick to what I can play out in a set, personally.

I like the Detroit sound you helped to pioneer. But I think somewhere it got
stuck in a groove. And the rest of Detroit kept moving on.

Except for the 900 people who came to hear me on 3/31/00 at Motor. Or the
several thousand who bought "Progress".

I still like what you're doing, and I think lots of Europe like it too.

Hmmm, I only get to Europe once a year, but I play the US every weekend. Even
now, I'm in Philly. (11, 000 people at the biggest East Coast event of the
year AND I got to meet/hear the AMAZING Marco Carola !)

I just don't think that your lack of invitation is a personal thing: it's
more
that your sound no longer represents present day Detroit.

You really wouldn't know that, would you ? And if some of the stuff I've been
hearing is present-day Detroit, I'll stay in the past with the old Derrick
May/Juan Atkins/Mad Mike/Jeff Mills blueprint, thanks.

 I'm keen to hear how you (very very lucky) people at DEMF sum up the Detroit
 sound circa 2000.

 Cheers

 Rol >>

Alan