> To pose a question, do you have to know Mozart's backgroud to appreciate
his
> music?  No.

Actually, I dissagree, albeit it's not detrimental...

People like Mozart, and even more notably Wagner, had political views and
ties.  The political arena was food for much of their music.  In Wagner's
case, he was an enormous anti-semit and German Nationalist, very important
info when considering his works.  Also, many of the classical greats were
commisioned to compose for usually a national cause, a celebration of the
nobility, so a lot of work created was done so in the constraints of the
nobility.  You can appreciate the work yes, but when the peice was created
as a political tool, then that becomes just as important.  With techno, we
have really no real political-social purpose, and we've done so for nearly
15 years now, very unique in art...

> for the most part I find that artist's
> don't want you to realize what they see in their music, but want you to
find
> your own interpretation.

Idealy yes, but many artist's rather self-agrandizing and pompus behavior
would signify otherwise...

> Truth be told most artists find their music to be flawed in some way upon
> retrospect (wishing for the ability to take back the work and complete
it).
> While we the listener will see the music as unflawed (complete).

hmmmmmmm, I like that, definately interesting...

> To add to Darwin's argument, perhaps the experience of Toneshifting is
> momentary.  Here are my thoughts.  As humans we are engulfed with a high
> level of stimuli daily.  To experience toneshifting (low stimuli) is novel
> and for a while we enjoy the experience.  But in the end we want to return
> to our normal level of stimuli (which is high).

Not totally true, although close.  In the more extreme cases (such as much
of the art community), there is comfort at the low stimuli level and
seclusion, anything above that becomes a ready seed for social anxiety, thus
they return over and over to minimalist introverted states, thus explaining
the utter militant anti-trance devotion of some to "pure" stripped techno...

> I experienced this for a number of years, wherein all I would listen to
was
> minimal techno.

When I use the term "minimal", I don't neccessarially limit myself to Dan
Bell and Co.  That's why I like to used the term "stripped", the reason
being is that most of the really powerful toneshifts can occur in say that
weird thing called Swedish techno or similar.  Basically my rule to
repetition that music within the contraints of about 2 bars, or there about,
and usually no lyrics...

darw_n

"create, demonstrate, toneshift..."
http://www.mp3.com/darw_n