To pose a question, do you have to know Mozart's backgroud to appreciate his
music?  No.

The artist's 'pain' or artist's problem from which he/she draws inspiration
can be shrouded or public knowledge, for the most part I find that artist's
don't want you to realize what they see in their music, but want you to find
your own interpretation.

Truth be told most artists find their music to be flawed in some way upon
retrospect (wishing for the ability to take back the work and complete it).
While we the listener will see the music as unflawed (complete).

If you appreciate something (or vice versa) only after knowing the artists
intent, tehn you are missing the point.  Music is for your interpretation,
not to add to a list of influences.

This is why some much of what we talk about is subjective instead of
concrete, there is no way to enforce my point of view on you, and
alternatively yours on me.

To add to Darwin's argument, perhaps the experience of Toneshifting is
momentary.  Here are my thoughts.  As humans we are engulfed with a high
level of stimuli daily.  To experience toneshifting (low stimuli) is novel
and for a while we enjoy the experience.  But in the end we want to return
to our normal level of stimuli (which is high).

I experienced this for a number of years, wherein all I would listen to was
minimal techno.  Then suddenly one day I felt the need for something more
and began to buy more house records.  It was not that I didn't like minimal
anymore, but I felt the need for more stimuli (ie. I felt 'cold' and wanted
to feel 'warm').

This would give cause to a fair number of middle grounders, as I believe
that most of us (to some degree have gone through the minimal period).

The proper factor is all in the mind of the beholder.  I like to call it
'influence of percieved knowledge' and I've seen it work its way through
universities and record stores alike.

To the layperson, who knows nothing of Jeff Mills but knows the basis of
mixing, Live at the Liquid Room is an energetic but mistake ridden mix of
techno.  Yet for the peron 'in the know'  Live at the Liquid Room is an
influential piece of work from a master of mixing.

I personally heard the mix without knowing who it was and thought that the
tracks were great but the mixing was poorly executed, then I found out it
was Mills.  My opinion still hasn't changed

Todd