> I have to wonder... are people here serious that a musician's art is
> entirely independant of the artist?  I think this is a pivotal notion and
>
> What do you all think?

I think that the separability of music from musician varies depending on
the style/genre of music, and the intent of the artist. I think they can
never be completely seperated, but for some music, you dont need to know
anything about anything to appreciate it.

Specifically- I think dance music is visceral and physical enough that its
most important qualities should stand on their own regardless of the
artist. But for something like avant garde or experimental music, the
interest lies almost entirely on the ideas of the creator- some of this
stuff i'd almost rather read about than listen to.

-p