I was involved with a crew in columbus that promoted/supported women dj's
and musicians in the exact same manner as any male dj's.

Personally, I think women have a better natural ability to pick up on dj'ing
and producing music.  "Biologically" it's been shown that women have a
predisposed talent in detail-oriented tasks; something definitely worthwhile
when learning to beatmatch, or make music.  I'll never forget the first time
my girlfriend went to my turntables...she matched a beat on her very first
try.  Luck?  Doubt it...she had a natural knack.  She showed the same talent
when she all of the sudden decided to make a track on her own.

So why aren't there more?  My thought is that a lot of girls lack the
confidence to really go for it.  Let me explain myself before I get scorched
=]  Confidence is probably hard to come by for a lot of women because it is
such a male dominated scene right now.  Plus, there are going to be skeptics
who expect women dj's to prove themselves...that equates to more work to get
to the same point as a male in some cases.  Some may not even think about
trying it if they don't see other women doing the same thing...

Again though, I was lucky to be involved in a crew where we did support the
female talent...if you're good, you're good.  I for one really enjoy seeing
women behind the decks; on the whole, the women dj's I've seen have been
extremely charismatic and could really get the crowd pumping.

GYS