On 18 Mar 2009, at 20:20, Tristan Watkins wrote:

On 18/03/2009 03:30, JT Stewart wrote:
Louis said everything I was going to say (and better) in my response to Tristan.

Yeah, I do understand those reasons as an artist, but the more we're talking about this the more I'm wondering if these aren't purely the concerns of the artist rather than the label - meaning: artist-run labels are the ones that would be less likely to distribute digitally. Put another way, I reckon this discussion is really about the relationship between the label and the consumer rather than the artist and the listener, if you see what I mean? In cases where the artist is the label, this gets much murkier. Perhaps a bit simplistically, or maybe just wrongly, I've always thought that it was the label's job to provide me with the output of the artists that they represent - thus my confusion about some of them not wanting to sell stuff to me.

I complete disagree with this "I've always thought that it was the label's job to provide me with the output of the artists", this is just consumer/brand infection, I'm a weapon of mass consumption and I have the right BS, some things are just not "products".

That's my view anyways.