On 25 November 2011 22:46, Joe Marougi <jmaro...@gmail.com> wrote:

> Agreed,
>
> Main point was that we don't need to be scolded for not commenting on
> a post by another member, that's all.  Plus I don't think I'm that off
> by suggesting that Derrick>Hardwax Employee (for the purposes of this
> forum).

Sure, there's no denying that Derrick is a brilliant DJ and his place in
the evolution of the music that we regard highly will never be disputed.

However, let's remember why the word 'techno' was chosen when it comes to
these sounds.  What's Derrick released recently? And how about Marcel and a
whole swag of artists who are ripping it up right now... don't they deserve
the air time? If they're producing excellent music, then yes.

What is Detroit techno anyway these days? Is it a sound or an ethos? Or
both? Or something else all together. That's not a dig, but a serious
question being asked when borders are transcended and sounds cross over and
meld; largely due to two things - the Internet and the reduced cost of air
travel. And what does it mean? Well, yes, there's a lot of crap music to
wade through, but there's the ability for people to access music far more
readily, and this can drive the influence of artists, and beyond that,
these new artists have a playing field to that is far more even than any
other than before.  And before I ramble off on another tangent whilst I
should be finishing paperwork so I can enjoy my weekend, I'm just happy to
see a thread with 20+ posts on the list for a change!

--

*Benn Glazier*
b...@glzr.info <b...@glzr.info>