This all got me thinking about the way cars have been a continually
recurrent theme in techno: 'Landcruising', Le Car, 'Night Drive 'Thru
Babylon' etc etc etc. Then of course all the similarities between Ford's
robots and machine music etc. It's interesting how the car-based culture of
Detroit (I should point out that this is only the impression I get - never
actually been to Detroit) has rubbed off on the music so much. I always
figured that good techno was the perfect driving music anyway. My cousin
once told me of having a near-religious experience listening to Derrick May
whilst travelling on the M62 across the Pennines in Northern England!

Anyway, as regards this issue, I suppose still I'm basically not in favour
of artists letting major corporations use their music - something in me
makes me think it too often reduces the music to the status of mere product.
At the same time, it's a great track from an underrecognised artist - the
record and Atkins both deserve a wider audience. I find it very hard to
condemn him for it. Guess I'll just stay right here on the fence on that
one...

One final thought; this is yet further proof of Detroit techno as future
music, not the has-been genre too many have cast it. Fifteen or however many
years ago (someone?), 'No UFOs' connected with a relatively small audience
on its release. Now Ford are paying Atkins a presumably hefty wedge for it's
use, presumably because they are convinced (and you have to figure they did
research) it will reach a much wider audience in 2000. Maybe the world is
slowly catching up.

Tom MF