> me in the first place. i've always thought of the people involved in the
> music to be intelligent enough to circumvent this whole entire system.
who
> needs them? with the technology and communication that is at eveyones
> disposal, the big money has no power or at least not as much power as it
had

a lot of people can rationalize actions for money - i dont see juans track
in the ford commercial as selling out per se, but as more and more people
take similar deals, i'm sure a bit of the scene will cross-over into
mainstream culture. its hard to maintain a scene like this entirely
independant of the capitalist mainstream at large when youre still living
in that capitalist society. I dont want to be rich and famous, but I'd at
least like a reliable car, a decent pad, and some nice furniture, and i
know i'm not gonna get that from djing for free or selling 500 records.
thats why i have a day job. but for those that dedicate their entire life
to the scene- you either have to be willing to sacrifice a helluva lot
(i remember TP mentioning living in his car for a year or something), or
be willing to take the occasional deal from the mainstream industry.

i think the people at the heart of this scene are aware and discerning
enough that these sorts of decisions to be made will be made in the
interest of keeping the scene self-supported. it seems that most people
either have day jobs- or are very hard workers, and only give in to
mainstream publicity on fairly rare occurances. hooray for techno :)

ps- i know my views are very slanted to american culture- i've never even
been to europe- and theres a whole new can o' worms as mainstream and
dance culture are already intertwined over there, but i'm sure theres
still the 'real' underground that will stay true to itself w/in any
society thats heavily reliant on capitalism..

pps- sorry to those getting sick of this thread - but this is something i
think about a lot - the whole mainstream/underground dichotomy and how it
works - how they can get the most out of each other w/out the
uncontrolable mainstream crushing the fragile underground scene. its a
rather complex matter and inevitably controls the much of the future for
the scene's existence as we know it. and i dont even make/sell records
(yet), i'm sure all you producers/store-owners/etc. are thinking about
this a lot more than i am (or at least you should be).