On 30 Dec 2000 [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Chicago house and
> Detroit techno were well intertwined in their development,
> but no way is Detroit techno just an offshoot of house, nor
> was Chicago unaffected by those early Detroit tracks.

Yeah. Some of the real old school house has a synthetic Kraftwerk-y
sound to it that very much reflects the same influences that informed
Detroit techno.  And remember that the Bellville kids were driving
over to Chicago to go clubbing and buy records with some frequency.

I guess the best way to put it is that people who are into the music
will go for anything that kicks.  And there is plenty of house music
in Detroit -- Check TP, check the Atlanta-era records on Acacia, Moodyman?

I think it's really incorrect to talk about being a Detroit Techno Purist.
Techno has always been about throwing many different spices in the pot.