What a wicked post... A last a chance for some REAL
discussion!!!!

>  Basically, what it boils down to is...unless we
> break
> the cycle-we're our own worst enemy.
>
> *Re the part about ford: Ford is trying to label or
> brand Detroit techno.They want to own this. They
> want
> to reach a point where 'techno=cool=fun=Ford' and
> one
> owes itself to the other. I owe this eye opener to
> Miss G.
> The only way they'll own it is if its allowed. I'm
> not
> saying ban the DEMF or Ford's money. But rather, use
> them as the rich aunt. Sure, throw the money around
> all you want-but it doesn't mean I'm suddenly going
> praise you or acknowledge you in my life liner
> notes.

Totally, I've mentioned this before ages ago...
There're a lot of people involved in this scene at
roots level. If there're people at this level then it
can never become commercial and it will never be
possible to stick it in it's own special rack in HMV
or Tower... Detroit techno is just tooooo broad.

Example... There is still good underground hip hop
about despite the fact that it's all in the charts
(stateside and in Europe) and has sprung in and out of
"fashion" a few times over the past 20 years. The
reason for this is that it's easy to produce and
there're lots of kids at roots level that can just
pick up a mike and MC without even considering getting
a big record deal... That's when the best music is
made...

In fact, I spoke to a mate about this the other day.
We came to the conclusion that most legendary bands
and artists only ever produce one really great album,
the first one... Then they start making money and
there's no enthusiasm to create good new music
anymore... Not true for all bands tho obviously.

This links with the recent posts about secertive
producers... Lots of producers have released stuff on
UR but are never credited and they don't care. That's
one of the reasons the label is so good and so true to
detroit techno...

What do you think?

Nick:)