I just watched that video of the woman from Look-Look online mag "hunting" down "cool teen street culture". Ugh, f*ing parasitic job... I don't think I could do that and sleep at night. I doubt that having tatoos and and multiple piercings is really underground and different. Everyone in that video had them... Yeah, I think that Detroit techno and most other techno will escape more or less intact becasuse it's not the visual circus that "mook" music is. Other "scenes" that are still virgin is the reggae music scene. Most people don't know anything past Bob Marley. I just saw Mad Prof. and the venue was not even half full and slowly emptied out... people not understanding the Jamacian soundsystem/DJ/MC thing.

MEK

From: Ian <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: The Music Institute <313@hyperreal.org>
Subject: [313] Interesting Insight
Date: Wed, 02 May 2001 00:39:20 -0400

Mildly offtopic, and I apologize in advance....

http://www.pbs.org/wgbh/pages/frontline/shows/cool/

Documentary on the feedback loop between what 's "cool" and what marketers
use to be "down" with teens.

Conclusion is that Detroit's own ICP is ripe for being co-opted.   KISS2
anyone?

I'm thankful that true Detroit techno escaped by virtue of its happening
early enough, and under the radar.

What I wonder though:
Detroit has a tradition of musical innovation, which might be subject to
greater attention in the near future.

What other "scenes" are still virgin and raging?
--
There4IM