OT mayhem:

kurt hoffman
45
new york city
musician, graphic designer

in my twenties it was about being in a vibrant downtown manhattan: minimalism, funk, punk, industrial, post-modernism, the art and music scenes spilling into each other. Fueled my entry into music. Time passed...I wandered off into a world of classical music and jazz. as popular music increasingly made dull use of electronic instruments, I made it a point to compose/arrange only for acoustic instruments. In similar rebellion against minimalism and the easy efficiency of the loop, I challenged myself to make constantly evolving, melodic music.

So you could say I was not in a particularly receptive state for techno when it came barrelling along, looping like crazy, escorted by hype and stupid pictures of little space aliens. Years later, "Port Rhombus" by Squarepusher was the stray bit of electronica that tipped me off that I was missing something. A trail of artisan breadcrumbs lead, implausibly, but irrefutably, to Detroit.

Moodymann, Theo Parrish, Robert Hood, Jeff Mills: thank you. and not just them of course, and not just Detroit. But...something about Detroit, right?

I am not a DJ. But I could write you a pretty sweet string arrangement.