Maria IS the butt-kicking Violetta of all time. And Patsy is sublime. It's hard to tie these into Detroit sounds, but a lot goes into the pot when you talk about influences. I can hear echoes of Motown in the Detroit stuff - most people think I'm crazy when I say that. I remember getting into an argument on the IDM-l with someone who couldn't understand why anyone into IDM would find James Brown relevant. Personally, I don't see how you can spin "Popcorn" and *not* hear the connections. One of the great things about this list is the diverse musical backgrounds/appreciation of music in general here. I have always had one foot in the indie camp myself and Detroit has some great things to add into that stew as well. Of course, it isn't techno and I am wandering abroad from the thrust of the list, but a bit of variance never hurt the mix imo.
                                                        jeff
ps
Anya had superb taste long before she read any post I ever made!