My tuppeny worth: As I suggested to Toby Frith earlier, Metropolis is a film
which worked intriguingly on many levels and I agree 200% that "In order to
appreciate
>>the CD, I think you have to watch the film with the music." .... You know,
I don't think I appreciated *just* how true that was until it started
rolling ... I rank my music by order of merit at home (anorak & proud!) and
Metropolis has to go to the front of 2000 after last night ...

Something else which I found striking is that you've got to see the thing
re-dubbed with the Jeff Mills's Metropolis 'score' to appreciate what
happens when you dub a primarily digitally-produced track to analogue
format. The sound quality changes somewhat - but I don't mean interms of
'worse/better':  I eman that the usual analogue effect of 'warming' sounds
up, applies. It gives the whole thing a much more cinematic feel, moods and
textures are enhanced and the sharp sort of 'cd' quality edge is distilled.

Overall, to me, Jeff Mills is a hero for reviving a film which is so classic
it's almost archetypal -especially the underlying theme - it's always
shocking to remember that millions of Americans (in a different America,
true) espoused the ideas which that film encapsulates, less than a century
ago. That Jeff Mills did it with such panache ... it's commendable I think.
Maybe one day, it will be commended.