At 01:31 PM 5/24/2002, you wrote:
from McCollum's article in the Free Press today
(http://www.freep.com/entertainment/music/demf24_20020524.htm):

"Scanning the weekend's lineup of 68 artists, some clear trends emerge. There's less IDM, or intelligent dance music, the sort of stuff favored by Craig. There's more straight-up club sounds."

This is exactly what irks me ... so Jazzanova, P'taah and Titonton are considered "IDM"? Can't play their music in a club? Hmm.

Not to start a genre-splinter thread, but this type of talk about this year's festival makes me ill.
-d

Additionally, it seems to pigeonhole the fans who would attend the fest as being tilted to one side of the musical spectrum and Carl on another. Carl simply recognized the diversity of the electronic music scene and tried to reflect that understanding and respect for the fans by adding acts like Tortoise and Ae, etc. as well as DeGiorgio, Mixmaster Mike, Perspects, etc. The article quotes a Billboard writer lauding the fest for providing fans a chance to hear a bunch of these acts live in one place. Maybe some of those heading down who "can't even tell you the names of the founders" would have a broader vision of how Detroit has had an impact on electronic music if that type of scope was more accurately reflected in the choices made this year. I'll be there...can't wait to see deepchord, Sterac, Stewart Walker, Clinton, Tejada, Mad Professor, The Advent, Rick Wade, Grant, Huckaby,Boo Williams, Juan, Oldham, Auxmen, etc., but it's hard not to notice that the lineup might have been a lot stronger - especially given the steam built up over the past few years. What happened last year is truly sad...not just for those "in the know", but also for those who might not ever know what they're missing. Additionally, I will miss the on-site Record Time tent. I doubt the vibe which permeated the air at DEMF I (which was conspicuously absent last year) will ever return in full force. Some kinds of damage don't clock in crowd numbers, sposorship or on other empirical registers.

                                                                        jeff