on 2/17/03 4:35 AM, Sakari Karipuro at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:

> spw wrote on Mon, 17 Feb 2003 about following:
>
>> on 2/17/03 3:28 AM, Sakari Karipuro at [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
>>
>>> i dunno. you have to first define what futuristic is. nevertheless, adam
>>> has been doing what he's doing for long time and he's in same trap - he
>>> doesn't evolve.
>>>
>> Let's say you go back in a time portal to the year 1987 when the first
>> Detroit techno started coming out, you show someone Drumcode (I'm
>> using Sweedish techno as an example because of it's use of production,
>> sounds, and effects) people would be like what the hell is that?!
>> Because nothing at the time sounded like that,
>
> if you check how some pop music was produced in mid 80's, stuff like
> madonna, michael jackson and so on, you'll notice that people already
> knew how to produce a record; of course, they are in different genre
> but lot of that stuff is still better produced that lots of swedish
> techno (granted, haven't heard that a lot lately, thank something for
> that) in terms of mixing and sound selection; there's plenty of
> dynamics, very kicking drums and lots of space in the mix. stuff that
> you don't hear nowadays often.

I hear mostly digital drum machines drenched in dense reverb and EQ.
No doubt the production quality is something you would expect from a major
label.

> and go back and check late 80's skinny
> puppy, they have had some really good engineer mixing and mastering
> their music. something you don't hear in that era house or techno, just
> to compare; they were sound- and production-wise some 5-8 years ahead
> of techno.

Skinny Puppy?!
In the late 80's Detroit techno and Chicago acid house sounded way more
advanced than the Wax Traxx Industrial material.
It was the way they utilized drum machines and synthesizers.

> now, of course those people would be like "oh wtf is this" but would
> they think it's futuristic? really. my _guess_ is that they would say
> that what is this rubbish, it doesn't have any groove (remember we are
> talking about electro-producers here).
>
>>> for me cybotron's "clear" -compilation still sounds very futuristic at
>>> the times, even though the music is ~20 years old.
>>
>> It has a futuristic 'retro' vibe.

When I say retro it represent how people saw the future in the early 80's.
Texas Instruments Speak N Spell, mechanical humanoid robots making
synthesized vocoder voices like you see on Battle Star Gallactica.
I think a person living in the 80's would indentify Cybotron with 'Planet
Rock', or Nucleus that type of stuff.