People in the music Industry, like dance mags, record stores ect...
Also mailing list like the G-Tech list who are devoveted to the techno
genre.
I notice people do describe records that are often discussed on this list
like Duvante & Lig Sensual
7th City or Keith Tucker Stick It In Your Ear as Detroit techno or Detroit
techno house.
But don't forget that not only did you have minimal techno sound in the
early 90's coming out of Detroit but you also had
that throwback strings and portamento sound like Fuse Dimension
Intrusion and Psyche on Plus 8 back in 1993.
It's really nothing new if you ask me.
I consider Aril Brikha (Art of Vengeance or Fragile is his best record in my
opinion)  to be more 'tech-house' (description from the SG database:
"slammin tech-house masterpiece!!!")
 like 'Isolee' and the stuff on Playhouse that Dan Bell has on his latest
mix CD.