Yes, track selection is definitely more important - while the
traditional DJ might cock up track selection sometimes (by simply not
being able to find the right record in time, or having had to limit the
number of records brought to a gig for weight reasons), a high-tech DJ
has no excuse for picking the wrong track.

And while a traditional DJ might argue that his/her crap track selection
is compensated for by their impeccable mixing (I myself wouldn't agree
with them, but there you go), a high-tech DJ can't really say the same.
So track selection is more crucial, if anything, to someone using
digital technology.

That's an interesting observation about the DJ/live set thing! I think
new legislation might have to come into place to differentiate between
the two - at what point does asemblage become composition? When Jeff
Mills hooks up a TR-909 to his mixer, does he become a live PA or is he
still technically a DJ? It'll be interesting to see how the law manages
to cope with this... what is the current legal distinction between a DJ
and a live act under US law?

Brendan