I don't think this is correct.  Most heads enjoy owning our favorite
music in some form, often vinyl for many collectors.  I personally
download tons of music.  I also am a vinyl junkie.  I'm not that fond of
ordering over the internet.  This means, most of what I download, I
can't find in my local (Chicago) record store.  When I happen to
download something I really like, and find it locally, I will usually
buy it on sight.

If I didn't download music, I would still buy the same amount of music.
There is just so much music out there.  However, my music buying choices
would be less informed.  There are artists I would not have discovered
without downloading.  I might even buy less, just because I had less of
an idea what might suit my tastes and where to look for it.  I do try to
avoid buying from major labels on purpose, so I mostly don't buy CDs and
download most of that type of thing.  I especially don't like paying
inflated prices to a major label for anything from an artist who is
dead.  I might buy a used/rare vinyl at a local store of course, but
that doesn't go to the record company.

You can compete with free by offering a superior, reasonably priced, and
legitimate product.  For me personally, I also want to buy a product
that doesn't support a corporate agenda that is totally counter to my
interests as a musician/composer, and also my interests as a citizen.

-David