From: lisa [mailto:[EMAIL PROTECTED]
Sent: Thursday, September 11, 2003 11:32 AM
To: Martin
Cc: Redmond, Ja'Maul; [EMAIL PROTECTED]; jurren baars;
313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: (313) 12 year old is sued by the RIAA

It's yet another "last ditch effort" because they were unsuccessful in
sueing many p2p companies whose software is used for legitimate purposes
(of course, in addition to music sharing). Napster, et al were easy (in
comparison) to tackle because of how they were constructed and used. the
current crop of  p2p, not so easy plus they keep changing. so they came
after the people, flexing their legal muscles whilst creeping people out
at the thought that the government and/or RIAA can find out what you've
been doing in the privacy of your home. privacy advocates have had lots
to say about this (some of them in powerful positions) and although the
US government could really give a f-ck ('cos they are quite interested
in restricting our privacy), there are positive things happening in some
courts choosing to not side with the RIAA. Let's hope it continues.

Until the system is balanced for all participants - in terms agreeable
to each (artists, consumers/users, prod/dist companies, etc.) - it will
not work and someone will be unhappy. So change must happen.

Martin, it's often cheaper for me to order new, non-US CDs & vinyl from
a shop in Leeds than to get them here, even including shipping. Pretty
ridiculous eh? And you should see how much they cost in Vancouver! I
checked out a few vinyl & CD DJ shops there and found the prices to be
really inflated. And yes, that's including the conversion from CA to US
currency.  :P

On this general topic, ya'll might enjoy this:

http://www.downhillbattle.org/itunes/

lisa