I'm not convinced - although what do I know, not being a dj?

No readily accessible trims means you can't really use volume as an effect
as much as you might.

Also, as for myself, when I do play, I tend to play quite a bit of old
records - I mean over ten years old - which are often 'quiet' pressings for
any number of reasons.

Reaching back to the gains to turn a channel up and then hurriedly going
back there to turn it down again for the next record will get irritating,
and knowing me, I'll probably forget sometimes ...