Oh, I completely agree that Reynolds had an agenda. And like I said, I
basically disagreed with every conclusion he came to.

BUT...while his thesis may have been severly flawed, the research that he
presents (ie- the history of ecstacy culture) is still compelling and well
written. This is all sounding too scientific. Its music. And you can take
the exact same story of ecstacy culture and come to completely different
conclusions.

here's an interview with Reynolds that helps explain where he's coming
from: http://www.space-age-bachelor.com/features/99/reynolds.htm
he talks extensively about "Energy Flash"

here's a piece where Reynolds first seems to develope his theories on
Detroit techno vs hardcore:
http://www.epidemik.com/features/articles/hardcore_article.htm

and finally- a rather extensive page on Reynolds that finds him
"rediscovering house" with the Mille Plateux guys:
http://www.jahsonic.com/SimonReynolds.html

Everyone's music collection is based around 'phases'. Reynolds just does
an excellent job capturing his phases in print. Don't diss because he went
through some phases that you didn't.