On Tue, 09 Dec 2003 13:55:05 +1100, "Cyclone Wehner"
wrote:

> I don't like it at all, either.

***cyclone has seconded, so I'll third the dislike of
felix's "remix" of nina simone.  I distinctly remember
the first time I heard it:  I was running late for my
radio show and as I was running down the l o n g hall
to the radio station (a hall equipped with speakers so
you can hear what the station is playing) I was hearing
this horrible song and thinking to myself a) who the
heck is on now (the guy before me never plays
electronic music) and b) what is this crap that is
being played?  I arrived to find that a) the regular
host was indeed there and b) that the record he had put
on while waiting for me to show up was the felix remix
of nina simone.  (The host explained that because I
wasn't there on time and because this record was in the
"new release section" at the station marked as
"electronica" that it would be a good bridge for my
listeners that I was keeping waiting by being late.  I
politely asked him in future to play anything other
than electronic music should I be late again!) I
quickly faded the record down and apologized for the
listeners having heard that horrible bastardization of
the late great nina simone.  Anyone heard the remix
king britt did of a miles davis track a couple of years
back?  Now, *that* was an excellent and respectful
reinterpretation.  It was not a bootleg, definitely
label-sanctioned.  It was from a compilation if memory
serves, similar in concept to what verve is doing, but
much better.  my cdn .02. andrew duke

> The only mix of Felix's I've liked this year
> (ironically) is his mix of
> Aussie soap star (another one) Holly Valance! That
> State Of Mind was good
> electro disco pop.
> They wanted Carl Craig to do a mix on that second
Verve
> vol, would have
> saved it.
> ----------
> >From: "Thomas D. Cox, Jr." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
> >To: <313@hyperreal.org>
> >Subject: Re: (313) Alton Miller
> >Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2003 2:18 PM

mix
> >>(Verve). It has the original Simone track on it to
> boot.
> >>I've always loved this song and it makes a great
> house track
> >>IMHO. Is this on Felix's new mix CD or something?
Any
> >>reviews?
> >
> > no, its from the verve remixed 2 comp. i was under
> impressed with
> > most of the mixes, the sinnerman rmx actually went
so
> far as to
> > offend me.
> >
> >>Finally got a chance to listen to the Meg Remixes on
> Joint
> >>that everyone was talking about weeks ago. This
stuff
> is
> >>really dreamy and wonderful and a very nice price
> indeed.
> >
> > yeah, especially theo's mix. that thing just murders
> it.
> >
> > tom

> > andythepooh.com

out now: Environmental Politics http://and-oar.org
Take Nothing For Granted http://acidfake.tk
Sprung http://bip-hop.com
http://warprecords.com/mart/music/release.php?
cat=BLEEP12&fc_type=CD
*Canadian electronica album of the year nominee*
More Destructive Than Organized http://staalplaat.com
Highest Common Denominator http://pieheadrecords.com
Physical and Mental Health http://dialrecords.com
74'02 (split with Hypo) http://tsunami-addiction.com
Waveforms: Halifax Electronic Music Compilation
http://cognitionaudioworks.com