From: Brendan Nelson
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Sent: Thursday, January 15, 2004 12:40 PM
Subject: RE: (313) warprecords

It would definitely cost a fair bit. The first step would be jumping through
all the legal hoops to make sure you're clear to sell the tracks in that
format on the site (I know there are a few things Warp can't stock on there
due to contractual/licensing problems that they're still trying to iron
out). The second step is to digitise the music itself, which is a lengthy
and time-consuming process (not the most expensive one though).

Eventually you've got all the tracks on a huge hard drive, and having paid
the person who's done that and the lawyers etc who've cleared everything,
you've probably spent more cash already than you'd have spent on pressing up
5,000 CDs. But the most expensive bits have yet to be done...

You need to buy an enterprise-level server, a really hardcore machine which
will be able to cope with hundreds of thousands of hits per day and several
hundred concurrent mp3 uploads, besides all the streaming that happens when
people preview tracks. A machine that's up the job might cost you over ten
grand.

Then you need to pay an ISP for the bandwidth you mean to consume - because
you want a lot of people to be buying mp3s off of you, that's a lot of
previewing and a lot of downloading. Maybe several hundred Gb a month, which
would cost at least several thousand pounds per year, every year.

Finally you need to actually set up the site itself, buying any software you
need (database and e-commerce packages can be bloody expensive), paying for
the design and build of the website (that Warp site, I'd guess, would cost
at least twenty or thirty grand at most web agencies I've worked with; Warp
probably get a discount but it's still not cheap). Eventually the site goes
live! You probably need to employ one person full time to look after it as
well, though, so that's more cost on top of everything else. Oh, and you
might need to spend some cash marketing/promoting the site so people know
it's there.

So all in all it does cost a lot of money to set up, if you're Warp and you
expect your service to be quite heavily used. A smaller label would expect
to spend less money setting it up - they wouldn't need as much bandwidth, or
so big a server, etc - but OTOH they'd expect to get less customers, being a
less well-known label, so it all evens out.

If Warp make a success of it, though, then smaller labels will be able to
deal with Warp themselves, having their tracks sold via Warp's
infrastructure without paying for it all themselves - that'll be the point,
I reckon, at which this whole selling-mp3s deal will come into its own...

Brendan