It seems to me that, as a self-moderated list, what the 313 list is supposed
to do is - this may seem a little radical - moderate itself. By this I don't
mean converting the 313 list into a web forum or installing some vengeful
and pedantic autocrat as arbiter of what should or should not be discussed
on 313.

Instead, why not chip in whenever you think someone's posted something that
steps over the line into wholly off-topic territory? Conversations like this
thread can be a bit ineffectual sometimes, because while there might be a
common agreement that "there should be less extraneous posts" there are most
likely differing ideas on what exactly constitutes an extraneous post. And
as long as that's the case, this issue will just keep on coming up.

I remember a good few years back (it's 313's tenth anniversary in September)
there used to be the "ob313" habit, with people excusing off-topic content
by sticking something pointedly on-topic into the e-mail as well. That
convention seemed to stabilise things for quite a while; some similar common
notion of what makes a post acceptable or unacceptable might well be helpful
now.

For example, a post I made last week is what I'd actually call unacceptable:
the one where I jokily responded to MEK's post about being
definition-obsessed. That sort of thing is a bit much, and I'm willing to
hold my hands up to it.

But what would it take to have made it an acceptable post? An ob313-type
sentence immediately after the pointless remark? A couple of sentences on,
say, the degree to which Detroit techno fans are definition-obsessed
compared to the "mainstream" electronic music community? That's the question
that needs to be answered, and I think that once the line's been established
we can get back to the sorts of engaging and often quite challenging debates
that used to take place here on 313. There's no need to burn down the whole
house just because someone spilt an ashtray.

Brendan