Yes, exactly - people could, and people DO listen to random sounds as
music. I live in the city and sometimes, the soundscape IS as satisfying
as a record. Music is everywhere. Human produced music is only one
sub-genre.

Music is rhythm (time) + timbre (quality of vibration), perceived by an
observer who categorizes the sounds as music. That's it!

Anything else might apply to a style or genre, but is not broad enough to
cover all musical activities in the world - you have to make the claim
that some forms of musical activity "are not actually music". Examples
might include field recordings, tibetan ritual music, Merzbow or
compositions by John Cage. Clearly, to a musicologist, all of these
activities could be classified and studied as music, even if it doesn't
fit with your personal definition.

Also, in regards to emotion being important, consider that in some
cultures (buddhist, for instance) emotions are viewed quite differently.
The purpose of art and music in these cultures would be to still the mind
rather than to provoke emotion. Indeed, I personally find that the music I
enjoy best has just such an effect.

~David