On Thu, November 3, 2005 11:45 pm, [EMAIL PROTECTED] wrote:
> Yes, exactly - people could, and people DO listen to random sounds as
> music. I live in the city and sometimes, the soundscape IS as satisfying
> as a record. Music is everywhere. Human produced music is only one
> sub-genre.

youve got to be kidding me, right? i mean this is not the first time ive
ever heard this argument, but the idea that any sound is music is
ridiculous. there is unquestionably a difference between sound and music.

> Music is rhythm (time) + timbre (quality of vibration), perceived by an
> observer who categorizes the sounds as music. That's it!

again, nonsense. youre completely discounting the idea of music existing
at all, which im sure everyone on this list would disagree with since they
certainly seem interested in this "music" thing. if what you say is true,
than any and no sounds can be considered music. and thats just ridiculous.
its like saying everything everywhere is art. thats just obviously not
true. i dont know what else to say to argue your point, if you cant
differentiate between these things i have no idea what to tell you.

> Anything else might apply to a style or genre, but is not broad enough to
> cover all musical activities in the world - you have to make the claim
> that some forms of musical activity "are not actually music". Examples
> might include field recordings, tibetan ritual music, Merzbow or
> compositions by John Cage. Clearly, to a musicologist, all of these
> activities could be classified and studied as music, even if it doesn't
> fit with your personal definition.

i told you, i own noise records (including plenty by merzbow and others).
i would argue that merzbow's music is still about an expression of an
emotion. cage clearly liked to straddle that line of what is and isnt
music. this is useful as a philosophical exercise, but not much use to
anyone listening. a field recording is simply that, a recording of sounds.
the act of recording something doesnt make it music. it makes it a
recording.

> Also, in regards to emotion being important, consider that in some
> cultures (buddhist, for instance) emotions are viewed quite differently.
> The purpose of art and music in these cultures would be to still the mind
> rather than to provoke emotion. Indeed, I personally find that the music I
> enjoy best has just such an effect.

good luck with that.

tom