On Nov 23, 2005, at 4:18 PM, dave cronin wrote:
ok, i'll bite. who would you book instead of these
guys?

It's not a matter of not booking these guys, and booking others instead. All I'm saying is, if you book these guys, who, being relatively popular at the moment, are affordable by the promoters, then I'm sure that other producers such as Theo Parrish (maybe) or some more minimal guys would bring at least a reasonable crowd. I think that guys like Theo can get the chicks dancing just as good as the next guy, if not better. Mike Clark was in town the same night, but the promotion for it wasn't nearly as flashy as for the Kontrol party, and he had both the venue on Connecticut dancing, as well as Pink the night after, so maybe it's not as impossible as I think you're hinting at.

and i don't think it's not that you're not entitled to
have critical opinions, it's just that you could
probably put them in a more positive manner.

As far as this point goes, I started the thread by pointing out that Detroit guys who were in town (neither one of whom is extremely popular, but have a a decent enough body of work, especially Mike Clark) were not even mentioned in the email from the person that prasised John Tejada's show. After all, we are on a 313 list, right? And to boot, I do (or did, since I don't respect anyone who hurls invective my way without even reading my posts thoroughly, and can't handle critical remarks) enjoy earlier Tejada productions, which anyone could have figured out had they bothered to read my post from beginning to end. In fact, here's the quote: "their music lacked in depth and emotion (aside from John Tajada's few emotive but far too short moments)" . You're right, that doesn't go all out to praise him, but it sure as he|| doesn't diss him, nor is it even close to attacking him.

even if
you didn't mean it as a personal attack, it kinda
sounded like it.

Again, look at my quote from above, I did not slander anyone, only questioned the Kontrol guys booking preferences. But I guess in SF that means that I'll have a promoter cry to a producer, cite my emails out of context, and have him personally attack me.

maybe think through the situation greg and the rest of
the kontrol krew are in-- they've been throwing this
night at a personal financial risk. i know they're
trying to book acts that represent the music they
love, but they also want folks to show up, so they
might book artists that are also a bit "trendy." oh
well-- it's still been high quality music, with lots
of pretty boys and girls dancing. does the trick for
me.

Fair enough. Any endeavor that goes beyond Tiesto or others in this town should be admirable, sure. BUT, if you advertise your gig as minimal techno, then at least try to book non-micro-house-glitch type artists ALL of the time. SF is trendy enough as it is, and if someone was to book producers or DJ's who might not necessarily be featured in the latest issue of urb or xlr8r, doesn't mean that it'll be a dead night. In my opinion the promoters in question do a good job of promoting the ppl they've booked, so is it really impossible to add some variety to the mix? If it they've tried and no other producers were able to come for whatever reasons, fine. But, like I said (in fairness, mind you) outside of Dan Bell most of these guys were strictly glitch type producers (at least at the moment).

if you think that it's possible to throw a techno
night in SF with even more out-there talent, step up.

I don't know if it is. Are you saying that it's impossible? I did see Derrick May here a few years ago, and the crowd sure was dancing, even though it wasn't Sasha or Digweed, and Hawtin wasn't nearly as popular at the time in this city, when techno of any sort wasn't really on the clubbing radar. Also, Stewart Walker played at the same club last year (though on a night put on by diff. promoters), and the place was both packed and dancing. Nor were they all chinstrokers.

i'll come check it out. (but don't come cryin' if the
crowd is 75 chin-strokin dudes, all of whom dj or
produce.)

everyone take it easy and eat some friggin turkey
already.

-d

--- Wojtek <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:

...  Since when has it become wrong to
express your critical
opinion of a show on this list?!?!?   Is it now
wrong to point out on
the list that yes, minimal techno and house DOES go
beyond the glitchy
stuff?  Just because I chose to point out the
limited approach of your
promoter "homeboys" you feel the need to personally
attack me?!?

Did I personally attack any of the producers? No.
The promoters?  No.
Does this mean that you need to "represent" the fact
that these
producers only book (thus far aside from Dan Bell)
flavor of the moment
glitch producers, while claiming to "represent"
minimal techno as a
whole?