On 6/4/06, Kent Williams <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote:
I had a great time this year, actually, and feel like I was at a
different festival than Tom Cox, even though I was hanging out with
him half the time.  I hope that Paxahau will take into account the
criticism they got on the line-up, because it really should be more
about Detroit music.

At the same time, the music I saw was all great. Fred Giannelli, La
Petit Orb, Szymanski, Jeremy Ellis, John Arnold, Tortured Soul, Dan
Bell, Carl Craig, Starsky and Clutch, Deadbeat, Godfather, were all
great musical experiences for me. Stacey Pullen, Mike Huckaby, and
Harvey at Oslo were awesome as well.

the problem is that that was ALL the good music (+ louie vega and the
NYC cats on the house stage on monday), spread over 3 days of the
festival and 4 nights of potential after parties. its not that i didnt
really enjoy all of those sets, because i did. but when you take into
account the normal 18 hours or so of music enjoyment i got on every
single other day ive been at a festival and compare it to the fact
that i had to hide from bad music on many occasions and it was a large
large difference in total overall enjoyment. i am really salty i
missed the saturday night stuff, id have like to have seen shake
really badly.

and i only had one new discovery of unexpectedly good music at this
festival, which was mikkel metal or whatever his name was. i liked
what he played at the festival, and ive since listened to some of his
releases and i really liked them as well, especially the more
downtempo stuff.

anyway, if they could keep things as organized and well flowing as
they did this year but bring in lineups more like what we've seen in
the past, paxahau would be in really good shape and would have my
support. they did a good job on actually RUNNING the festival, but
they need serious help with booking the music. if they booked good
music, all the other complaints i have would probably disappear.

Main criticism I had was NO FREE WATER. That was downright dangerous Monday.

there was a water fountain near the food court area that was free and
cold, strangely i guess not many people knew about it since there
wasnt even a line! it was funny watching minto get busted trying to
jump over the counter at the food court to get to a sink to soak his
head on monday afternoon!

tom