Exactly.  Those executives are letting racism,
> sexism, and poor taste drive the machine.

 just to swerve this topic a bit more off road- I'll
come at from where I'm most now, around kids. Where
the "machine" starts to influence at its earliest.
>From a music standpoint, I've noticed that the kids
(who are four) are insane about NSync,Brittany Spears,
Backstreet Boys and...Michael Jackson. When I pull out
a new CD for the class these are the five names that
roll off their tongues first. If it's not those
five-it might as well be foreign. There are two boys
who are most into Michael Jackson.(You haven't lived
till you've seen a four year old do the moon walk).
One is incredibly artistic AND the other day made the
comment that Michael Jackson is white. We had to break
it to him he wasn't. Though he insisted he was for a
while. If it matters the little boy is NOT white. I
found this incredibly interesting.

 I've noticed what the children do react most to is
beats. When I scroll through a CD to find a song the
two things they respond to most are 1)repeated lyrics
and 2)a lot of bass and beat. That's what they respond
to most out of the five formentioned. I've put in
Stevie Wonder for the two that praise MJ, and they
said literally "this isn't funky". I nearly keeled
over. They respond to jazz-but mostly the stuff heavy
in drums and horns. The one who incredibly artistic
(and thought MJ was white) loves Telefon Tel Aviv and
instrumental. BUT most music is judged on the scale of
if they can dance to it like NSync or not.

 What I'm getting at is my pure observation that I
think the machine, on a musical level, starts at a
very early age. There's so much being walloped at the
public by mass media that consumption has turned us
into informational termites-not satisfied until all
the wood is gone, but then we just look for another
structure to destroy. On a social level, at least in
our classroom, the barriers of race aren't there very
much. However kids of like nationalities tend to group
and stick together. If anything most present is the
boundry of gender.female vs. male and so on. The ones
who have it the toughest are the boys with all sisters
or the girls with all brothers who sit on the fence
inbetween.

 We can talk about the "machine" and how it effects us
until we are blue. I think it's obvious that we know
who the demons are here..it's just a matter if you
make it your choice to challenge them on a daily basis
or you are one to choose your battles. For me, the
most important things I get out of these discussions
is the lesson to question things that seem a bit too
easy and try and kick the machine as often as
possible. I don't think it will ever be broken (though
maybe when we get a black, female US president) but at
least it personally feels good to challenge it as much
as can, as often as I can.