from fans and peers, I have received as much or even more respect than
d.j.'s. I only do live p.a.'s
Now from critics or the mass media culture,,,um,,, I really don't care.
Respect from there is based on way too many factors other than the talent of
either a d.j. or live performer.

I do agree with Jayson, in that it's more of a challenge to keep a crowd
interested for a performer. A d.j. can play and rely on top notch records
for two hours. We have to create top notch music for 1 hour.
This is hard, especially when most people have no idea what you are doing
anyway. Plus I must say,, a lot of performers slack off on some of their
creativity to fill up on time. That's why I will not do a two or 3 hr
performance . one and a half is the most.
 I believe a live p.a. can rock a crowd just as much as a d.j. can.
Actually, I feel the advent's live p.a.'s are better than his d.j. sets. But
I do agree it's harder.

Now where I have to disagree with Jayson is that it can't be improved.
That's not true. Sure it can't be like a jazz quintet but it can very well
be very spur of the moment( changing notes, recreating patterns on the fly
for example.) I never practice because my sets are different every time I
play whether it's at home or at a club. of course you have to pre write some
patterns But bands pre practice a set also. How many live ( rock,r&b,etc.)
shows have you followed only to find them to be the same show? You can pre
write some patterns but not to the point where you can't change it on the
fly. This is what a lot of people do.

Here's a test that I have done to see if I'm as effective as a d.j. Try
this,,, do a show without stating that you are a live set. Set up in the
booth and do your thing. See what happens? I have played live that way and
people stayed on the floor and continued to dance all night,,, but I have
also done that and experience the opposite. What's important is that what
ever they do they are doing it based on your music and not on their
preconceived notions of a live p.a.