I have a question. Why don't people who do live techno performances >get the same respect that DJs get?

i think this question is answered pretty easily: dj's can choose records that are, well, cream of the crop. Live pa's however, have a more challenging task of WRITING over an hours worth of music that's good. Essentially, a dj's library of tracks is far superior to what any live pa is going to be able to put it. Even someone like Kooky who can indeed write a boatload of killer tracks, you're still looking at songs all written by one person, and that can fade on a crowd after a period of time. Its a fact of life. Like you said, not to diss on dj's, but its just life that a live pa has a little more a challenge ahead of them. That's why you don't see live pa's on the cover of urb unless they're some huge star such as crystal method and the ilk. For this reason is why i tend to put remixes into my live set; they give the crowd something to be familiar with (such as my bombs over baghdad/spastik remix or my join in the chant/2 legit 2 quit remix) and tends to open their minds a bit more to your other material.

I do live performances myself, and second because I've seen people >recently -- The Kooky Scientist, Shawn Rudiman, and Stewart Walker -- >who all put on performances that were improvisational, raw, emotional >
and immediate.

well, although i admire and LOVE the live sets of all these bloaks, lets not give them too much credit. the word 'improvisational' really doesn't apply to a single live pa, unless they're more of a band (which this arguement doesn't apply to anyways). Electronic music production, by its very nature, doesn't allow much room at ALL for live improv.

Is it because everyone has seen lame Live PAs?

read above comment about the difficulty of writing a load of quality material.

I just find it really odd. A fairly new form of musical performance >is mostly being ignored; people who are fantastic performers aren't >getting shows.

this is changing quite a bit lately. With the advent of technology (yamaha rs7k, mpc4000, ableton live) companies are finally making equipment with live production in mind, and this is very important.

Techno audiences seem to look
on live PAs as a time to pee and refill the water bottle, but they're >rapt and in awe of a guy who is, well, playing records.

that guy playin records, be it oakenblow or richie hawtin or t-1000 or anybody, can choose slammin ass tracks (slammin as in good). I'm not saying record shopping is easy (i know how much of a pain it can become), but its just a different thing.

or i'm going to shut up now.