----- Original Message -----
From: "Cyborg K" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>; <313@hyperreal.org>
Sent: Friday, March 15, 2002 4:55 PM
Subject: Re: [313] Techno DJs VS Techno Live PAs

> 1>  First of all, I'd like to say that live PAs can include improvisation,
> have been playing totally live keyboards with my live PAs for quite a
while
> now, and since my background is in jazz i really DO improvise and I'm NOT
> "band".  Of course performing live (especially when your setup is as
ghetto
> as mine) is no easy task and I have grown a lot since I first started
> performing.  I am now sometimes adding a live saxophonist but I certainly
> don't think that makes it a band either...

Agreed, and with repetitive music, I'd argue improvisation needn't involve
playing totally live, as you say, although that would definitely "liven"
things up. I was at the show with Kent where we saw Stewart Walker and Shawn
Rudiman. They had two absolutely distinct approaches, but I'd characterize
each as improvizational, at least to the extent that a DJ can improvise (and
I think most of us would accredit DJs with that ability).

a) Shawn Rudiman *constructed* his set from the ground up. I don't know how
much of it was rehearsed, versus improvised, and how much of the song order
was planned in advance, but I suspect strongly that the entire flow of the
set was as unplanned as a good DJ set - reacting to the crowd, involving
himself with the transitions between "songs", guiding the direction of the
entire set, etc. He played every single beat on the fly. Like I said, I
dunno if the beats were rehearsed, but he was frantically tapping in each
pattern as the set progressed. It was captivating. And he did this on 5 drum
machines. Meanwhile, he tweaked and arranged the melodies on top of his
ever-chaging sea of beats, and his friend Luke threw in subtle Ableton loops
that I could never even spot. It moved as well as pretty much any DJ set
I've heard (unless the DJ is a turntablist - that's a whole different
dynamic), it had more variety than most techno sets I hear, and the quality
was IMO superior.

b) Stewart Walker had a much more stripped-down approach. He arranges
everything on-the-fly from his MPC-2000, triggering samples on an EMU, and
sometimes playing single one sample at a time. He runs the set through a DJ
mixer, uses the DJ mixer effects, crossfader, his knob box, etc. He is
bringing the DJ aesthetic to his live PA better than anyone I've heard,
although AFAIK he's never DJed. He's also typically very attendant to the
crowd and moves the set accordingly. Stewart's PA's may fall into the "one
sound for an hour" category as much as most do, but that *is* his aesthetic.
The set matches the the source material. Isn't minimal music "meant" to be
heard this way? Is there a problem with having a minimal set if we're into
minimal music already? It works for me!

> 2>  This brings me to a side bar, one downfall of playing live as opposed
> playing records is, I am dependant on the equipment I have, which is all
> CHEAP because I still pretty much live on ramen noodles...  My point is,
> sometimes I get down on myself because I feel that no matter how well I
> play, no matter how creative I am, there is no way I can duplicate the
kind
> of well produced sounds I hear on some of my favorite records...  I wonder
> what others on 313 think about this?  Is it really just about the music or
> is it about the equipment too?  I

I think it's a mixture of both. I was stuck in gear hell, never getting
comfortable with my set-up and never getting outside the confines of my gear
for the first 6 years I produced. If it didn't make me find "work-around", I
don't know what would. So I learned a lot of "tricks" in that time, and it
gave me time to learn how to write/arrange effectively. Finally, last Winter
I got my tax refund, I sold all my gear and bought a Nord Modular so I could
create an entire palette of sounds flexibly. This was a big investment, and
now I just have Cubase + Nord, but it allows me to do what I want to do, and
I only really want one more piece of software to add a broader pallete of
drum sounds and more flexibility before I'll feel satisfied with my setup.
So to answer your question, I think most people who "grew up with gear" will
feed you the old addage, "it's not the gear, but what you do with it". I'd
add that you need gear you're comfortable with to actualize your full
potential. Computers have been a godsend when it comes to simplifying these
choices for the budget-minded producer, and for ramping up the learning
curve.

> 3>  what is this ableton live?  I've heard of this but don't know anything
> about it...

It's software designed for live performance. It seems to have won over most
PAists who've tried it. http://www.ableton.com/

> 4>  <SNIP> As a working musician who has had
> to play a lot of bad covers, I really like this way of playing old
material,
> it's much more personal than just doing a straight cover, almost like
> sampling...  I wondered what others thought.  Am I just stealing or is
this
> a valid form of relooking at the musical past?

I think it's really cool. I recall a mixed reaction to one of Rob Hood's
Live PAs where he played a lot of covers, but you'll have that. If you're
talented enough to be able to mix your original compositions with the
elements of DJing some audiences might miss, then I'd say you're on to
something.

Tristan
Upcoming Gigs:
3/16/02 - Centripetal Force @ The Edge, DC