1> First of all, I'd like to say that live PAs can include improvisation, I have been playing totally live keyboards with my live PAs for quite a while now, and since my background is in jazz i really DO improvise and I'm NOT a "band". Of course performing live (especially when your setup is as ghetto as mine) is no easy task and I have grown a lot since I first started performing. I am now sometimes adding a live saxophonist but I certainly don't think that makes it a band either...

2> This brings me to a side bar, one downfall of playing live as opposed to playing records is, I am dependant on the equipment I have, which is all CHEAP because I still pretty much live on ramen noodles... My point is, sometimes I get down on myself because I feel that no matter how well I play, no matter how creative I am, there is no way I can duplicate the kind of well produced sounds I hear on some of my favorite records... I wonder what others on 313 think about this? Is it really just about the music or is it about the equipment too? I can't afford one piece of gear that I would describe as being really good... It puts some very specific parameters around what is and isn't possible to do live. (In fact I can't even reproduce what I can create with a computer and since I don't have a laptop I am reluctant to bring my PC to a venue where it may get damaged...)

3> what is this ableton live? I've heard of this but don't know anything about it...

4> Along the lines of what Jason was saying about live PAs being only one sound for an hour, with nothing necessarily recognizable to the audience, I have hit on a personal solution and I wonder what others here think of it. I don't use any samples in my set, but I sometimes now quote songs or riffs in my keyboard playing... for instance the keyboard line from Good Life... or a Charlie Parker/Thelonius Monk tune, or a famous instrumental house track...Another thing I've been doing is taken a track that I sampled and playing it live... like this George Benson tune with kenny baron soloing on rhodes that I used for a house track... As a working musician who has had to play a lot of bad covers, I really like this way of playing old material, it's much more personal than just doing a straight cover, almost like sampling... I wondered what others thought. Am I just stealing or is this a valid form of relooking at the musical past?

From: "Jayson B." <[EMAIL PROTECTED]>
To: 313@hyperreal.org
Subject: Re: [313] Techno DJs VS Techno Live PAs
Date: Fri, 15 Mar 2002 20:28:12 +0000

well, although i admire and LOVE the live sets of all these bloaks, lets not
give them too much credit.  the word 'improvisational' really doesn't apply
to a single live pa, unless they're more of a band (which this arguement
doesn't apply to anyways).  Electronic music production, by its very nature,
doesn't allow much room at ALL for live improv.