On Fri, 15 Mar 2002, Jayson B. wrote:

> >I do live performances myself, and second because I've seen people
> > >recently -- The Kooky Scientist, Shawn Rudiman, and Stewart Walker --
> > >who all put on performances that were improvisational, raw, emotional >
> >and immediate.
>

> well, although i admire and LOVE the live sets of all these bloaks, lets not
> give them too much credit.  the word 'improvisational' really doesn't apply
> to a single live pa, unless they're more of a band (which this arguement
> doesn't apply to anyways).  Electronic music production, by its very nature,
> doesn't allow much room at ALL for live improv.

In each of these cases the performers in question were making moment by
moment decisions and while they had rough ideas of what they wanted to do,
everything they were playing was uniquely the product of the moment.  That's
the only way to do it and produce any excitement. Most rock shows are no
more spontaneous than a techno show -- less in fact.

And I think any of the guys I mentioned, and also guys like Titonton
Duvante, Bill Van Loo, Cex, Kid606, Marumari, Kit Clayton, Todd Sines,
all can produce 45 minutes to an hour of cool music. The point I'm trying
to make is that a live set CAN be done well, and that for me as a listener,
it's a more artistically deep experience than DJ'ing.

DJ'ing is about having a party. It's about setting a mood and controlling
the crowd.  A real DJ set (in my opinion) is 90 minutes bare minimum, and
better 2 or 3 hours.  Frankly it's less mentally taxing than playing a
live set.

> that guy playin records, be it oakenblow or richie hawtin or t-1000 or
> anybody, can choose slammin ass tracks (slammin as in good).  I'm not saying
> record shopping is easy (i know how much of a pain it can become), but its
> just a different thing.

Heh. If a DJ can be an artist, it's interesting that his or her primary
expression is in which entertainment products he purchases and chooses to
share.  DJ'ing makes art out of materialistic acquisitiveness. They curate
private collections.