> sorry, that's ridiculous tunnel-vision and an over-emphasis on genre
> names without looking deeper. of course techno has evolved. it evolved
> into jungle, it evolved into dubstep, it evolved into loads of things.
> anytime anything "evolves" it's given a new genre name. it is a total
> contradiction to expect "detroit techno" to become something radically
> different and still be called "detroit techno". if this was the case,
> we wouldn't even call it "detroit techno" in the first place, we'd
> call it "chicago house", except maybe we wouldn't call it "chicago
> house", we'd call it "disco", etc etc.

Really, you talk to someone old enough and they do call it all disco.
Genres serve to break down and isolate - what can be played with what, what
can't be played with what.
It's a marketing tool.

funny that at one time a style of dance music derived its name from the
style of dance you did to it
is it not about the dancer anymore?

first time I heard the word 2-step I immediately thought it referred to a
way that someone was moving on the floor
turns out they still danced the same to 2-step as they did to house (as
they did to disco)

oh well...

MEK