"JT Stewart" <[EMAIL PROTECTED]> wrote on 11/01/2007 01:20:45 AM:

> those cities and dates fred named do
> have some relevance, but they mark hey days, and by no means mark any
> radical departures from anything that had come before. none of it
> popped out of nowhere, not even a little bit, and techno was no
> exception...though i sure thought so when i first heard it.

the time between the dates that Fred mentioned were the days, months, and
years that
the real woodshedding was going on...

those unmentioned dates are the ones when the work was being done before
the unveiling
the transition periods - the swapping, sharing, blending, addition and
subtraction to arrive
at "New Orleans in 1948, London in 1961 and 1988, Chicago in 1953 and 1984,
New York in 1925,
1956 and 1976, San Francisco in 1965, Kingston in 1967, Jo'burg and Dakar
and Kinshasa in
1970, the Bronx in 1977 and on and on."

the in between days, they are the moments that the fuse is lit and begins
to burn down
but without those days the dynamite would never blow up

I wouldn't fret over the days that "nothing is happening"
we generally expect too much too soon

as for new sounds - I've been heavily exploring obscure funk 45s from the
60s/70s/80s and have
come across tons of amazing music
I'm not overstating at all when I say on a weekly basis I'm completely
wowed by something I've never heard before
not a new sound as much as how something is expressed
new sounds don't mean chit if you ain't got something to say

MEK